Friday, September 13, 2013

Journal 2

Mark Twain, through his writing in Roughing It, definitely demonstrates Primeau's notion that "Americans have treated the highway as sacred space." The narrator of this book proves throughout the first few chapters that he is naive and dainty, and knows nothing about the places for which he is destined. However, he also writes of the amazing happiness he feels while he is on the road. This shows that, no matter how off-putting the narrator may be most of the time, Twain still shows how the “highway” (or in this case, probably a dirt road) has always been a sacred space for the American traveler.
The narrator shows his naivete when he does not realize that he could buy the large dictionary he brings with him when he reaches his destination, and he is disheartened by the fact that he cannot bring his top hat and gloves (Twain 4). Similarly, he refuses to eat the mackerel put before him in Chapter 4, and shows the extreme differences in class and culture when he asks the station-boss for coffee (Twain 25).
However, even a narrator this naive (and even at times unlikable) writes lovingly of the "highway" he is on, as he rides in a stagecoach one night, surrounded by bags of mail, with his elder brother. "As we stretched our legs full-length on the mail sacks... our perfect enjoyment took the form of a tranquil and contented ecstasy... we felt that there was only one complete and satisfying happiness in the world, and we had found it" (Twain 11-12).

Some of my classmates mentioned that the narrator seems rich, aloof, and hoity-toity; however, with this passage, Twain makes him seem like a regular American enjoying a trip across the country -- in a sacred, special space that is his own (or that he shares with his brother). Suddenly he seems less like someone we would not want to actually meet in real life, and more like ourselves. Perhaps this is Twain’s own personality showing through his writing.

4 comments:

  1. I was one of those classmates who felt that the narrator was a dandy, but I did find your argument of the contrary to be interesting. I see how his perception being different from other people makes it work as a freedom of openness so to speak in regards to the emotions felt through travel. This was an interesting response and does the idea of freedom of travel some serious justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an interesting twist to put myself in the narrator's shoes. I can't honestly say that I would not have been much worse! I do agree that he did see an escape in the journey, as most of us American do. I like that you offer the idea that we are judging the character too much and not giving him enough credit. Well put!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed Amber's inspiration to put myself in his shoes. I would like to think that I would be better, but I would probably be much, much worse. I think it is important to mention that the only thing people really knew about traveling out west were the rumors that had circulated back. I still believe Twain is making fun of the naivety of travelers, but you make a good point when you say maybe we're looking at ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this post was interesting and in a good way! I think my favorite part was how you incorporated the "dirt road" part in there because I think we often times forget that these stories refer to a time so long ago that our upgraded lifestyles seem to take over as the visual we have. I too even pictured an actual paved road until you mentioned how it was probably dirt. Great post!

    ReplyDelete