One of the main borders we have seen throughout the semester is demonstrated in Kapuscinski's Travels with Herodotus. In this piece, K. is interested in leaving his comfort zone, or crossing a border just for the sake of crossing borders. I feel like I will be doing this when I go to Rome next semester. I have never left the country - unless you count Canada, which I don't. It's pretty much Michigan, right?
So when I finally leave the country, it will be a huge step for me. Even more of a challenge will be leaving my friends and family, something I've never done for eight entire weeks. But, just like K adapts to his surroundings even though he is outside his comfort zone, I know I will too. I will probably be scared and miss my family, but I'll also know that I probably won't get "taken."
Rick Steves also mentioned a similar border. He said that travel should leave us sadder but wiser, so that would also involve leaving a comfort zone. I look forward to leaving this particular comfort zone, though; as I've said before, I'd rather be sad than stupid.
Rick Steves
I used the Kapuscinski piece as well. This is a very obvious crossing of borders because he is entering the territory of new cultures and new experiences in a new country. It can be very difficult to adapt to a new culture especially when it is something that is completely new to a writer. Good thoughts!
ReplyDelete"Even more of a challenge will be leaving my friends and family, something I've never done for eight entire weeks."
ReplyDeleteI think this is one of those borders that really gets overlooked, but it is so important! I know whenever I even think about traveling, just the idea of leaving my friends and family stahls out my plans.This is the knid of border that I honestly believe everyone has to cross.
I like the simplicity of this piece. It seems like you and Kapuscinski have a lot in common in your travels. Your fearful expectations are the same as his, but you too are being brave about it. Have fun on your trip and don't let Kapuscinski scare you too much.
ReplyDeleteI like how you stated how, when we leave our native countries, we are stepping outside of our comfort zones, this is such a good point because when doing so; we are leaving behind everything that is familiar to us, in search of new familiarities. I think this is an essential part of travel, to make a new place familiar to us by immersing ourselves in its culture. Have fun in Rome !
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kara, the emotional tole of being without your friends and family could have a serious effect on your travels. This is overlook quite often in our class. We also talk a lot about technology and its affect on travel writing. This is an area where it could have a lot of benefits. With things like social media, and Skype it has become much easier to stay in contact with people while you travel.
ReplyDeleteI love the phrase "I'd rather be sad than stupid" more than you could know. It makes so much sense that travel writing leaves one somewhat sadder about many aspects of life in general. I like how you tied in the comfort zone idea with travel as well.
ReplyDelete